There are certainly a lot of factors that go into creating a productive learning environment. In class we discussed the importance of the physical arrangement of the classroom, maintaining positive relationships with students, and setting limits for behavior. I plan to use all of these strategies within my future classroom. Below is a link to an article I found about classroom management in urban schools. The article is rather long, but it is worth reading because it contains so much valuable information about working with students in urban schools.
Urban Teachers Professed Classroom Management Strategies
I have done a fair amount of volunteer work with urban students and I can relate to so many of issues raised in this article. I think some of the most important quotes from the article are...
*"Urban students may experience a greater need than suburban students for developing close relationships with teachers."
*"Students preferred teachers who displayed caring bonds and attitudes toward them, and teachers who establish community and family type classroom environments."
*"Urban children expect much more direct verbal commands than perhaps suburban or rural students may expect or receive."
*Students said that effective teachers adhered to the policy that, "There were no acceptable reasons why every student eventually could not complete his or her work, and there were no acceptable reasons why a teacher would give up on a child."
*"Always follow up and keep your promises to them. Doing exactly what you say you'll do means something to students. They experience so many empty promises."
I think this article makes it clear that relationships with students are an important (perhaps the most important) component of creating a productive learning environment. As a teacher, I want my students to know that I care about them and want to help them be successful. I want them to know that I believe in them and will maintain high expectations for academics and behavior. I think this will be an important factor in my classroom management strategy.
For the Elementary Education Case Study, I would handle the situation in several steps.
1. First, I would try cueing Lisa and see if that is enough to get her working with the group appropriately. I would try to remain in close proximity to that group and use subtle cues when I notice Lisa causing problems.
2. If that does not work, I would speak with Lisa privately about the problem. I would ask her about the issues her group has been having, and discuss with her some general strategies for working with a group. For example: listen when others are speaking, remember that sometimes you have to compromise, everyone must work together in order to succeed, etc. I would also give her a printed list of this information as a reminder of our discussion. Finally, I would make it clear that I expect her behavior and participation to improve.
3. If steps 1 and 2 did not alleviate the problem, I would meet with Lisa again. I would discuss with her the fact that her group is still having problems, and this time I would give her much more explicit instructions. From now on, I will give her an assigned job since she was unable to cooperate with her group in deciding who gets what job. She will be expected to complete this job without complaint. I will also make sure that she receives very specific instructions about what her job entails and how she is expected to interact with other group members. If this strategy works, then we will try and gradually work back towards less structured group participation.
4. If Lisa still chooses not to cooperate, then I would give her an individual assignment covering the same material, but that is much less fun and requires a little more work. Hopefully this would motivate her to want to go back to participating in the group work.
Kerry, I really like the quotes you took from the article. There are tons of differences between urban, suburban, and rural settings and I think the article highlights some. In addition, I like the last step of your intervention plan. Working alone, at that age, would definitely be worse than working in a group and I think that technique could be very effective. Good job!
ReplyDeleteKerry, I enjoyed reading this blog post. I really liked your response to our CSEL prompt. You took matters into your own hands a little more than I did, which I think is good, especially depending on the environment. Over all we had the same basic idea and steps. I also liked the article and bullet points you provided us about working with students in urban settings. These students may have less family support than students in an suburban setting and rely on us to give them love and affection. This is one of the reasons why I want to work in an urban setting. I'm sure you're making a huge difference at Dogwood and will continue to do great things in your next rotations and in the school you eventually end up at!
ReplyDeleteKerry, I really liked how you quoted " Always follow up and keep your promises to them.." It is so true. When we model following through with our promises and keeping our word it is not only something the students like, but something they can identify with in their own life and maybe even pick up from you! We had similar thinking when it came to the CSEL case study. I started off with cues and talking to Lisa privately as well. I like how you said you would lay out specific strategies that Lisa can use in her group to help her stay on task. I think sometimes students really need everything said out in black and white for them. I also liked your idea if all else fails to have her do an assignment on her own. Great job girl!
ReplyDeleteKerry, that article is such a great resource - thanks for sharing!
ReplyDeleteYour intervention continuum looks good. I am fascinated by how many elementary teachers in the sections I teach are using negative punishment - taking something away in order to change the behavior (the fourth step of your intervention plan) because we haven't discussed theories like Behaviorism yet. Is there any sort of self-monitoring you could do with Lisa as well?