Cognitive learning is a very important thing to keep in mind when designing lessons for students. There are a couple of things that I definitely want my students to be able to do that relate to cognitive learning. First, I certainly want them to be able to remember important concepts and topics. I will try to promote this by making lessons interesting and relating them to what the students already know. I will also try to be mindful of their cognitive load and not give them too much information all at once. I also want my students to be able to think logically and explain how they solved a problem or why they chose a certain answer. This is a crucial skill that they will need in the real world. I will try to encourage this skill by regularly asking the students to explain their answers.
Below is an article I found about different strategies that can be used to support cognitive learning.
Cognitive Strategies
I particularly liked the quote that, "A cognitive strategy serves to support the learner as he or she develops
internal procedures that enable him/her to perform tasks that are
complex" (Rosenshine, 1997). I thought that was a great explanation of what a cognitive strategy is. The article also gave some great examples of cognitive strategies that can be used in the classroom.
I love your comment about logic! Great post!
ReplyDeleteKerry, I am such a big advocate for making lessons interesting and fun, and I think including prior knowledge can really make a lesson. Prior knowledge helps build those strong connections for students.
ReplyDeleteKerry, I really like what you say about not giving students too much information all at once. It will make your lessons more genuine and I'm sure your students will be appreciative as well. Making your lessons interesting to your students is a great idea. What I remember most from being an elementary student were the things that interested me. The only problem is that not everyone likes all of the same things... oh well. You're going to be an awesome teacher I can tell!
ReplyDelete