Knowledge about memory processes can be very beneficial when trying to help students remember some specific information. Recently, we have been learning specifically about long term memory and things such as declarative vs. procedural knowledge and explicit vs. implicit knowledge. One important thing to remember when teaching students is that meaningful learning has proven to be somewhat more effective for long term memory storage than rote learning. For this reason, I will try to have my students complete fewer rehearsal tasks and more meaningful tasks such as organization, elaboration, and using visual imagery.
Below is a link to an interesting article about how to help students remember information.
Memory Strategies To Help Students Remember What They See And Hear In The Classroom
In addition to the strategies mentioned above, the article contains some great examples of memory strategies that can be used in the classroom. Some of my favorite strategies from the article include...
* Associate the information by linking it, finding a similar theme and/or finding what is similar between the items.
* Think of examples of what you are trying to remember.
* Change the information to a different format, that is, from words to pictures or from images to words.
Great comment about using meaningful learning!
ReplyDeleteI love the idea of meaningful learning. I think it helps create strong connections for students. I also loved your teaching project. Great job!
ReplyDeleteKerry, I really like the tips that you provide in this post on meaningful learning. All of our students will bring different things to the table, so I like how you addressed thinking of different examples to remember and also the website you included. Great job as always!
ReplyDelete